Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Excuse = Justification for a Lower Standard

I have been given some grief by a dear friend for not writing the last couple of days. I have lots of great excuses ... but, ultimately, that is just what they are ... excuses. My definition of an excuse is based upon a quote I heard once: "An excuse is a justification for a lower standard." I try not to offer too many of them. Life is full of reasons things happen, road blocks on the way to success, but truly, there is no *excuse* for them.

But I do ask you this ... Who on this earth manages to pull a muscle in her hand? And HOW does one manage such a feat??? Doesn't that sound like it belongs on the same list as "The dog ate my homework"? (Coincidentally, our dog did indeed eat my sons homework once last year. It was actually quite comical.)

I digress ...

I have not been perfect, I have not managed to do MOST of the things that I set out to do this week in preparation. However, I have not been as awful as I have been other days in the past. That being said, I have felt ... well, less motivated than I was on Monday. This I do not want. Motivation is such a difficult thing to maintain, and when you start losing ground with it, it feels like quicksand. The more moves you try to make to get out of the rut, the farther under you fall.

Isn't it amazing how simple little things can disrupt your plans and send your spiraling back down the steps you just successfully climbed? Every day is a start over. Some days, it is just wearisome to put that foot on the first rung and re-start the ascent. Especially when the top of this particular ladder is miles and miles away.

Monday's are particularly busy in my household. Besides everyday mundane things such as laundry and cleaning, I also have guitar and chauffeuring Ian to piano and tutoring. When we manage to get home, it is his bed time, so there's all the rush of that. Now I will also be adding a session with my Maureen, my personal trainer, at 1pm. Our sessions are unique in that she is in Boston and mostly involve her planning my daily activity and nutrition, and my checking in with her frequently. Plus 2 telephone sessions every week. I realize that it is not a normal relationship with a P/T, but here's what is different about Maureen. She walks the walk. She is a fitness competitor professional. She is the sister of one of my best friends. And she has maintained this high standard of fitness for most of her life, while still fitting in family, friends and work. I trust her. And most of all, she walks the walk. If at some point we decide that I need a person in my immediate vicinity, I will take that route. However, as I am just starting back on this road, I prefer to work with someone that I trust.

Tomorrow I intend to head to the gym for cardio as soon as I put Ian on the bus. After guitar, I will come home and eat lunch, then try to fit in some weight training here at home prior to the 1pm session. Then, I think, while Ian is at tutoring, I will walk around the library (outside if at all possible) as many times as I can in the hour that I have. Generally, I spend the time quietly reading. If it is pouring, I may spend the time reading as usual, however, I will be finishing up my re-read of "The Eat Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno.

So, here's the rest of my food diary for the past week. Just because I promised to post it. Read it if you wish, but don't feel obligated. It certainly won't offer an amazing insights ...

Friday 10/2/09
* Cup of granola with ¾ cup skim milk

* 1 c. chicken noodle soup
* Turkey, with lettuce and light mayo on whole wheat
* ½ slice peach pie

* Grilled salmon with 2 tbsp. roasted red pepper sauce
* Steamed mixed veggies
* 1 cup brown rice

Saturday 10/3/09
* Banana
* Cup of coffee
* Handful of almonds

* 2 handfuls of movie popcorn
* Large diet coke

* 1 cup jasmine rice with 2 tbsp cilantro
* ½ cup black beans
* ¼ cup shredded rf cheddar cheese
* 3 tbsp salsa

* Pumpkin muffin (homemade, small)

Sunday 10/4/09
* Whole wheat wrap with turkey, lettuce, tomato, rf cream cheese (1 tbsp) and jalapeno peppers
* Coffee

* 6 Mexican turkey roll ups (with corn and black beans in tortilla (appetizer sized)

* 10 RF triscuits
* 2 thumb sized pieces of rf cheddar cheese
* Diet coke

* Plain, unsweetened iced tea

No comments:

Post a Comment