Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Stroke

My Dad had a stroke. Sunday? I'm a little unclear of the very first episode because I didn't learn about it until last night (Tuesday evening). Regardless, my parents met with the neurologist today and we have a little more information. It seems he suffered a mid-level stroke, and has had repeated mini-strokes since. Still having them, in fact. The biggest concern is that his body (brain, actually) is building up to a major stroke. Good news is ... he's in the hospital and will stay there until they get it all taken care of. Bad news is ... this started on Sunday night, but Dad didn't want to go to the emergency room, in case they didn't admit him and he would be burdened with the bill (gotta love retirement insurance policies being jacked around in the wake of financial crisis, General Motors!). So he waited until Monday morning to go to his Doctor. Who, of course, immediately admitted him and also berated him for not going to emergency. (And I wonder where I get that tendency from??) Reading up on Stroke, waiting was probably the worst thing he could have done. Luckily, he didn't get his grand mal, top of the line version before he managed to get care.

My Dad is not a healthy person. He's not "UNhealthy" per se, but he's not necessarily known for paying attention to things he should. He's always been a little overweight (sometimes a lot), he has struggled with Diabetes as he has aged, but doesn't really follow a diet recommended for someone with diabetes, he used to drink quite a bit (beer, it seems like every night after work, but that might be my child's memory expanding it). My parents don't really eat healthy. My Mom would tell you that they do, but, in the scheme of things I have learned, they are definitely more traditional "American" menus, lasagna, scalloped potatoes and ham, fried chicken, lots of meat and potato type meals. I'm not knocking it ... I LOVE my Mom's Scalloped Potatoes and Ham, Fried Chicken and Chicken and Noodles more than pretty much anything in the world. But I wouldn't call them Low-Fat, by a long stretch. Dad has always been active in that he works hard, he's a builder. But not really cardiovascular-healthy.

I'm pretty sure he is about to have a major life change.

I sure hope he does better with it than he did with the diabetes life change.

I'm still a little in shock, I guess. A little girl's Daddy is the strongest man in the world and nobody can take him in a fight. As we grow up, we might realize they are not really as physically strong as all that, but they are still the stabilizing rock in our life. Admittedly, my rock has not always been that stable, but my relationship with my parents, and especially with my father, has seriously affected the person I am today. Good and bad.

Last year, my Mom went through pancreatitis and a cancer scare. It rocked my world, like an earthquake. Luckily, the magnitude was on the smaller scale. I am hoping that Dad's stroke will be the same scale. Scary, but recoverable for everyone affected.

My brain is having a difficult time putting thoughts in order right now, so if this is a disjointed post, please forgive me.

TUESDAY'S FOOD DIARY
Breakfast

*All Whites* 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 3 serving
Old Wessex Lts. 5 Grain Cereal, 1 serving
Blueberries, fresh, 0.13 cup
Flavor Tree Goji Berries, 0.13 cup
Lunch
Flat Out Artisan Fold-it Flatbread, 1 serving
Chicken Breast, no skin, 3 ounces
Bib Lettuce, 1 leaf, large
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 2 slice, thin/small
Dinner
Chicken Breast, no skin, 3 ounces
Romaine Lettuce (salad), 0.75 cup, shredded
Cucumber (with peel), 0.13 cup slices
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 0.13 cup, chopped or sliced
Ken's Lite Accents Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (10 sprays), 1.5 serving
Snack
Universal Super Whey Protein Powder, 23 gram(s)
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
Cucumber (with peel), 1 cup slices
Ken's Lite Chunky Blue Cheese salad dressing, 0.5 tbsp

No comments:

Post a Comment