Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Friday, November 20, 2009

Where does motivation come from?

"Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long." ~ Leonard Bernstein ~

I was looking for another of my motivational quotes (I collect them, and like to share them, as you may have noticed) when I saw this one. And I realized that the seeking of motivational quotes IS my approach to those times when inspiration lags. When I don't know what to write next, I take brief glimpses into the minds of inspirational people from all walks of life. Whether it is from the brilliant or the simple mind, there is inspiration to be gleaned everywhere.

Just as this idea applies to writing, I think that it can also apply to mindset and will power. When the road gets rough and tries to trip you at every turn, go find something that reminds you why it is important to finish the journey, even if it is with a few bumps and bruises.

Yesterday, in my Spinning class, I was struggling a bit with some seriously tired hamstrings (ball workout, 'nuff said). I felt weak and and inept. Usually, I can picture some scenic bike route, with hills and valleys, but even more flowers, birds and fresh air, to keep me motivated to finish the ride. Yesterday, the picture just wasn't coming, and I was feeling every rotation of my wheels. Until, about halfway through, this quiet, melodic music came over the speaker. Our instructor told us that this next hill was starting off slow and intense, envision a steep, steep climb, but would graduate into a full-fledged race down the other side. That the music was actually going to fly at the end. Next thing you know, Celtic music was winding its way to a typical frenzy. All of a sudden, I was climbing that hill on Inishmore, the largest of the Aran Islands, again. I could smell the crisp Irish Atlantic breeze, I could see the limestone jutting out of the ground. I was right back there and, even though steep and painful, I found joy and inspiration in the music and the memory. By the time we were "flying back down the other side of the mountain", I felt revived and really ready to finish the class, no matter how tired my hamstrings might be.

(For any who do not know, I should note that I celebrated my 40th birthday in the West of Ireland this summer. It was amazing and I can't wait to return.)

What motivates you? What do you need to do, think about, envision to make it past your weakest moments? Who inspires you to reach past your limits?

"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant, they is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." ~ Johann Gottfried Von Herder ~

FRIDAY FOOD DIARY
Breakfast

Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted 100% Whole Grain Bread, 2 serving
*All Whites* 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 4 serving
Blue Agave, Organic (Wholesome Sweeteners brand), 0.5 tbsp
Olivio Buttery Spray 5 sprays, 2 serving
Blueberries, fresh, 0.3 cup
Regular Coffee, 3 cup (8 fl oz)
Lunch
Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (RoTel), 2 serving
Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey, 4 oz
Beans, red kidney, 0.5 cup
Dinner
Gorton's Grilled Shrimp - Classiv Grilled flavor, 1 serving
Mixed Vegetables (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots) Birds Eye - 87g, 1 cup
Snack
Cottage Cheese, 2% Milkfat, 0.5 cup (not packed)
Del Monte Lite Diced Peaches, 4 oz
Carrots, raw, 1 cup, strips or slices
Universal Super Whey Protein Powder, 23 gram(s)
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment