Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Friday, November 13, 2009

MINDSET is everything.

Once, a while ago, when I was kicking it hard and finding serious success on Weight Watchers, an acquaintance asked me, "How do you do it? How do you stay on track and not eat the bad stuff?" My answer to her was "I just don't." There wasn't more I could add to it, at the time. I just knew that it wasn't something I did. My focus was pretty incredible, and my results ended up being that way as well. (For a while, but that's another entry for another blog.)

I am finding myself in the same situation again, this time. People asking me how I avoid the food trip-ups that are all over the place. My answer is a little more complete this time. It's all about MINDSET. I am successful because I have decided everything is a choice ... and those choices are in my control. I can choose to eat the stuff that is not good for me ... or I can choose not to. It's all about mindset.

I found myself at a party the other night which was laden with sinfully delicious trip-ups. There were dips, crackers, cheeses, appetizers ... all things that I love dearly, and if I have to say I miss anything ... it is those. But I chose to stay out of that room, drank my water and talked to friends in the other room. Then, later into the evening, there were desserts. (I have closed my eyes in near-ecstasy as I re-picture the mocha trifle and carrot cake delights that were displayed.) The creator of these delicious bites even announced that the carrot cake was healthy ... after all, it did contain carrots. My strength was tested. My mind was strong, but my nose and stomach were working in tandem to tempt me. I didn't think "what if i just tasted one ..." or anything like that. But I did feel a little sad that I couldn't partake. Others around me were happily enjoying the feast, without guilt or reservation ... and for one long moment, I missed being free to do the same. I left the party shortly after. I love the company of friends, but I didn't want to test the resolve of my mind much further.

I find myself avoiding meals out with friends for this same reason. I have a meeting for church to attend in a couple of weeks ... where they are offering "Pizza & Soda for everyone". Everyone except for me. I will pack my cooler and I will bring my own edibles ... and I will pray for extra strength to keep my mindset strong and unerring. Just tonight, some friends of ours suggested we should meet at a favorite restaurant for dinner soon. I want to, so much ... a night out with friends, enjoying food not from a cooler ... but it will take some real planning to make sure that I know exactly what I can order and how much of it I can eat. Sometimes, it is just easier to say "no" ... and eat at home, or out of that cooler.

So, here's what keeps me going strong and faithful. I am trying to turn my chevy into a rolls royce ... and it requires only the best fuel. The workouts that I sustain 6 days out of the week require me to be energized with the best possible foods. 300 calories from a tiny sliver of plain cheesecake, without fun toppings, is about a half hour hard labor on the elliptical. Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I get to indulge my cravings with truly wonderful foods ... why mess it up now and force a forfeit on that free day? I am in a race and the only thing that can trip me up is myself. I wouldn't put obstacles in the path of my friends success ... so why should I even consider doing it to myself?

Everything is a decision. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes energy. Yes, there are things that are forfeit in the battle. But if you want to succeed, you need to be willing to give time and energy. And you must be willing to endure a little sacrifice.

On a side note - there are those who think this is not worthy of my energy and sacrifice, to the detriment of causes they feel are more important. But to me, my top 2 priorities are my family and my health. Family just is. Health? Without out it, there will be nothing else of me to give to whatever other thing you think is more important than the time and energy I focus on my fitness. It's ok if it is not your priority. But it is MINE .. .and nobody gets to judge me on that.

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it." ~ John Rushkin ~

THURSDAY FOOD DIARY
Breakfast

Kashi Go Lean Waffle, 0.5 serving
Olivio Buttery Spray 5 sprays, 1 serving
Strawberries, fresh, 0.5 cup, sliced
Universal Super Whey Protein Powder, 23 gram(s)
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup
Lunch
Coho Salmon, 3 oz
Brown Rice, medium grain, 0.5 cup
Dinner
Mache, 1 cup
Chicken Breast, no skin, 3 ounces
Ken's Lite Accents Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (10 sprays), 2 serving
Snack
Cottage Cheese, 2% Milkfat, 0.5 cup (not packed)
Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
Almonds, 12 almond

FRIDAY FOOD DIARY
Breakfast

Egg Whites (All Whites 100% Liquid Egg Whites), 0.7 cup
Old Wessex Lts. 5 Grain Cereal, 1 serving
Organic Blue Agave syrup, 0.5 tbsp
Blueberries, fresh, 0.25 cup
Regular Coffee, 3 cup (8 fl oz)
Lunch
Chicken Breast, no skin, 6 ounces
Brown Rice, medium grain, 0.5 cup
Dinner
Frontera Gourmet Mexican Salsa - Chipotle, 6 tbsp
Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey, 4 oz
Mache, 1 cup
Snack
Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
Universal Super Whey Protein Powder, 23 gram(s)
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment