Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Getting older is not as much fun as I thought when I was 13.

Do you remember how anxious you were to become 16 and old enough to drive a car? Or how about 18, and to graduate from high school? Maybe the best was 21 when you were *legally* considered an adult and allowed to, ahem, drink alcohol without a fake ID. I often wish that I could go back in time and gain back the days I was so anxious to leave in the dust all those years ago.

I turned 40 in June.

(That deserves a sentence all to itself.)

My body simply does not respond the way that it used to. In fact, it's responses are sometimes completely unsatisfactory. Last week, Monday, I tweaked my back a little. Come Wednesday, I tweaked it a bit more and was having trouble even moving. I did my workouts, Mon, Tues & Wed, fully and without restraint. After talking to Maureen on Wednesday, I came to the realization that my "All or nothing, Do or Die" attitude might actually set me back. So, on Thursday, I rested. I figured, since it was my spin class day, it was a better choice than Friday, which is a full workout day. On Friday, I felt better, but the back was still iffy. So I changed up my whole body workout to a "Slam hard on those Bi's & Tri's" day, along with the required cardio. And on Saturday and Sunday, I rested. My back is starting to feel much better and I am anxious to get back in the saddle tomorrow. I stayed completely on plan with my food. I simply checked back the workout a little to give my body time to heal. Learning to listen to my body is more than about hunger.

I had a hard time with it, to be honest with you. I was so afraid that I was going to lose momentum, that I was a bit depressed by the set back. I found myself more tempted by evil things like pizza and baked goods. I felt a little tug to give in, give up ... but I didn't. It's amazing how easy our minds can trick us into a defeatist mentality. "You can't do the workouts, your body is failing ... what makes you think you are going to keep this up as long as it takes to make your goal? You should just quit and enjoy those things you are missing out on. You are going to fail anyway, why not just preempt it!?"

But this morning, I pulled on a pair of slacks for church that have been a bit snug the last few times I have worn them. And they were LOOSE. Not just fit right, but rather were a little big. And suddenly, I felt just a little less defeated by my own body. I am succeeding. I am losing weight in more places than just my cheeks (the face ones that is). Sure, I hurt. But most of the time, its a good hurt that makes me feel alive and healthy and in control.

I'm older now. My back has always been a little weak. It stands to reason that I am going to have to deal with pain. I am healing my shoulder, I am listening to my body, I am doing the things I need to do to become stronger and healthier. The pain will become less. If I DON'T make these changes, these pains will only get worse as I age.

Instead of defeat, I choose to succeed. And I will.

"The only place where success comes before work is in a dictionary." ~Vidal Sassoon~

SUNDAY'S FOOD DIARY
Breakfast

Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Bread, 2 serving
*All Whites* 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 3 serving
Blue Agave, Organic (Wholesome Sweeteners brand), 0.5 tbsp
Blueberries, fresh, 0.5 cup
Olivio Buttery Spray 5 sprays, 2.5 serving
Lunch
Beans, red kidney, 0.75 cup
Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey, 4 oz
Herdez Salsa Casera (medium), 10 tbsp
Dinner
Shrimp, cooked, 3 oz
Horseradish, 1 tbsp
Ketchup, Heinz, 0.25 tbsp
Snack
Cottage Cheese, 1% Milkfat, 0.75 cup (not packed)
Libby's Tropical Mandarin Oranges w/ Splenda, 0.5 cup
Almonds, 12 almond

No comments:

Post a Comment