Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Friday, June 18, 2010

So ... you think this is hard ... ?

"Character is what emerges from all the little things you were too busy to do yesterday, but did anyway." ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's
Notebook, 1966




I have a friend, whom I love dearly and who might very well read these words. So, I'm just gonna say, yes, YOU inspired me to write today. But it's not all because of what you wrote, but also about things I have thought myself, things other people have said to me ... just thoughts that have interceded where they ought not for far too long.

There is somebody out there that thinks what I am doing is hard. TOO hard. That it is impossible for a regular working woman, a single mom, an average joe who enjoys playing a little in life when the work day is done. Who would rather NOT head to the gym after the work day is over or on a blessed, sunny weekend day. I get that. I really, really do. I think it all the time. "I should do the laundry, clean the house, weed the flower beds, clean out the garage, go to the grocery, have lunch with my friend ... a million other things ... I really should do those right NOW instead of heading to the gym." Or here's another one I hit myself with all the time: "It's BEAUTIFUL OUT! I do not WANT to sit in a stinky room surrounded by iron things and sweat in the A/C. I WANT to get a tall glass of Iced Tea, a really good book and sit in the back yard."

That part of the job? Ignoring the inner voice? Yep, that part IS hard. The hardest part, in fact. It's the part I struggle with the most. But that's not what spurred me to write today. It is that somehow you have been left with the impression that the actual work I am doing is hard. The lifting of iron stuff part. It's not.

OK, it is ... but not necessarily in the way you might be thinking.

Don't choose not to work out with me because you don't think you can do the things I am doing. ANYBODY can do this stuff. I was doing this stuff the day I started. The weights and the reps were a little lower, is all. The actual movements, the "exercises" are simple, and standing side by side, the only way to tell any difference would be to look at the number on the weight in our hands. Nobody does that. Or rather, nobody cares. Trust me when I tell you that many of the other humans in my weight room are pushing and pulling HUNDREDS of pounds heavier than me. If I waited until I was at their level ... well, I guess I would never start because I am not made to bench press 300 lbs. And the totally cut personal trainer that often works out at the same time as me? She can pull off a whole bunch of pull ups completely unassisted. If I waited until I was at her level ... I 'd never get there. Because, at some point, maybe 20 years ago, but still at some point ... she started off JUST LIKE ME. I choose to be inspired by her and the other, stronger, inhabitants of my gym space, rather than intimidated.

Doing the work, that's not the hard part. Getting there, leaving your pride at the door, putting in the time and not offering yourself any excuses? That is. Seeing results? It is like getting a big, fat bonus in every paycheck. When I do the work, I get the bonus. When I don't do the work. I either put in harder work the next time, or I start losing out on that big fat bonus. When I give up or stop showing up? I not only lose the bonus, I lose the paycheck.

I read an article a few days ago about some of the things a woman could now do after having gotten more fit. It inspired me enough that I am going to share a few of my big fat bonuses with you all. And here's the kicker ... I am not even done! There's still so much more reward to come. (As long as I keep putting in the work.)

Things I can do NOW that I couldn't do 50 lbs ago:
1) Run 4 miles without walking
2) Sit in the middle seat of an airplane comfortably
3) See my feet when I look down (without bending forward!)
4) Run bases a heck of a lot faster
5) Wear heels without killing my feet or knees
6) Do 100 bicep curls with a 15 lbs. weight
7) Wear the pj's my son and hubby got me for Christmas this year
8) Lots and lots of walking lunges (I hate them, but I can do them ...)
9) 45 minutes on the stairmaster at a level 10
10) push ups, pull ups, sit ups, chin ups, & other "ups" that were downs before


That's just 10 ... I could sit here all day and come up with other cool stuff. There's still 20 more lbs to go until goal, then probably 10 or 15 more after that for cutting. I can't wait to see what I will be able to do then!

"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph." ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment