Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Monday, June 14, 2010

It's the Little Things

Getting back into the game has actually been easier than I anticipated. Once I made the decision to get up off the bench, quit stretching and start playing, my body (and my mindset!) has launched into hyper-drive.

Maureen and I worked out a new food rotation which, while not being as rigid as in the past, is still clean and healthy ... and far easier to stick to. We also came up with a workout plan that involves 2 extremely heavy lift days (one upper and one lower body), 2 lighter lift days and 2 cardio heavy installments. I worked my arms to failure on Friday and followed it up by shredding my lower body on Saturday. (My bumm is still sore!) In spite of a couple glasses of wine accompanying my birthday dinner out on Saturday evening, I am down nearly 5 lbs. from last Wednesday.

FINALLY!

During the whole process, the mantra of "It's the little things that make the difference" has been replaying in my head. Little things like adding a couple of pounds onto a weight rack. Like taking that squat just a little deeper, and holding it just a little longer. Or measuring out that 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt instead of eyeballing it. Drinking all of the WATER in the daily requirement instead of counting 3 cups of coffee as part of that total.

I have also found myself thinking "What would Monica do?" Silly, I know. But ... it worked for me. Saturday, when my arms ached and I nearly talked myself into throwing my schedule to the wind and taking that day off instead of the next (Sunday) I thought to myself "What would Monica do? You have a dinner out, you can't control how the food will be prepared, even if you choose the healthiest choice on the menu. You are planning to drink a glass or 2 of wine. Do you want those extra calories on your more sedentary day? Or should you go out an earn that meal out? If you were a serious fitness professional, if you were Monica, what would you do?" Well, I went out and earned the heck out of that meal. Sunday morning, my body rewarded me by dropping another pound.

I was also able to find motivational inspiration during the sermon on Sunday. Of course, Pastor Jim was speaking about becoming your most spiritually healthy, but the lesson he laid out was just as pertinent for physical health. And really, in my life at least, those 2 go hand in hand. Opening with the line "How to Overcome - Your failures do not define you", my attention was immediately held captive. Pastor Jim continued to lay out all the stages of relapse and the factors contributing to it. Striving to be the best you that God intended, that God CREATED you to be. Heady stuff.

It's also the little things that can sneak in and disrupt you. Those little memories that can send you quickly down the wrong path, if you let them. For me, most of those involve my Dad right now. I am allowed to be sad, but I am trying really hard to focus on the positive things. Looking for a Father's Day card for what is probably my last with my Dad was unexpectedly difficult. In hindsight, I should have expected it ... but I didn't and the faucet on my emotions was loosened a great deal this weekend. Instead of letting it drag me down, I decided that maybe it is just time to go with it, wear the waterproof mascara and expect to cry a bit more for a while. Most of all, though, I decided to enjoy as much time as I can with my son, as Dad's illness has proven that all of our days on earth are numbered, and enjoying every little thing, every single day, is really the best way to live them.

So, I guess, learning to place greater importance on the little things in life can result in some big changes. At least, it has been for me.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~Robert Brault~

No comments:

Post a Comment