Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happiness is ...

In the musical "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown", there is a wonderful song called "Happiness is ...". Lyrics are as follows:

HAPPINESS IS FINDING A PENCIL.
PIZZA WITH SAUSAGE
TELLING THE TIME.
HAPPINESS IS LEARNING TO WHISTLE.
TYING YOUR SHOE
FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME.
HAPPINESS IS PLAYING THE DRUM
IN YOUR OWN SCHOOL BAND.
AND HAPPINESS IS
WALKING HAND IN HAND.

HAPPINESS IS TWO KINDS OF ICE CREAM.
KNOWING A SECRET.
CLIMBING A TREE.
HAPPINESS IS FIVE DIFFERENT CRAYONS.
CATCHING A FIREFLY.
SETTING HIM FREE.
HAPPINESS IS
BEING ALONE EVERY NOW AND THEN.
AND HAPPINESS IS
COMING HOME AGAIN.

HAPPINESS IS MORNING AND EVENING,
DAY TIME AND NIGHT TIME TOO.
FOR HAPPINESS IS ANYONE
AND ANYTHING AT ALL
THAT'S LOVED BY YOU.
HAPPINESS IS HAVING A SISTER.
SHARING A SANDWICH.
GETTING ALONG.
HAPPINESS IS SINGING TOGETHER
WHEN DAY IS THROUGH,
AND HAPPINESS
IS THOSE WHO SING WITH YOU.

I felt the need to share the lyrics (all of them, no less) to that song, because it is so true. Happiness is something that can be found in the simplest of things. Just as there are days that absolutely EVERYTHING sets me off, sends me flying into a messy funk, there are also times when the craziest things will make me grin from ear to ear. Today? It was shoes.

Yes, shoes. No, not fancy girly shoes. Running shoes. And Cross-Trainers. And Reebok Easy Tone sneakers.

Yep, 3 pairs of wonderful, happiness filled shoes that make me want to run, skip and jump rope.

Ok, so I may have fully funded a 3rd world country for the next year with my purchases ... but I guess that is just my way of spreading the joy.

It all started with the need for some new running shoes. I wear these things everywhere, and if I am going to train for a short little 2.2 mile cross country gig on Turkey Day, its time for new treads. But at boxing today (oh, that was so cool, and oh, will I be chatting about that, too. Another day.) it was quite obvious that my running shoes were not going to cut it in the ring. So, cross-trainers were needed. And while trying on those lovely little gems, a pair of Reebok Easy Tone sneakers caught my eye. I tried them on and they were just so cozy ... well, I had to buy. Had to, I say. So I funded Vietnam (Reebok and Nike) and China (Adidas). Hmmm ... I guess not so much 3rd world ... but I still feel happy. Wish the good ole' USofA was making their own wonderful shoes, right here on our soil, but that's a blog of an entirely different kind.

The point of all this is ... I am so happy with my new shoes. I am happy that my first training session in a boxing ring went well. I am so happy that I can almost forget what a dismal failure I was at jumping rope.

Almost. ;-)

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." ~Buddha ~

2 comments:

  1. I have been tempted to buy those easy tones, but every time I just can't. Let me know how they work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so far so good ... they are really comfortable and not so odd as you would expect. Plus they don't look nearly as funky as the skechers and other versions. Just look like sneakers. That make me a little taller ... I like being taller ...

    ReplyDelete