Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Thursday, February 4, 2010

On 2nd Thought ...

When I went back and re-read yesterdays blog, one thing jumped out at me: Who died and made me a preacher?!?!

With that thought in mind, I want to revisit the blog a bit.

Yes, there were a couple of very specific people in mind when I was typing. Just people who have recently asked me ... and immediately offered up some excuses as to why it was impossible. Pretty much, I was saying "out loud" the words that ran through my head as the excuses were listed, albeit several days later.

But most importantly, I wanted to drive the point home that I am a recovering Queen of Excuses. I have lapses all the time. I have to be constantly diligent to ensure that I don't fall into my own traps. If I wasn't slipping up occasionally, my weight loss would probably be at least 10 lbs more than it is now.

During the holiday season, I struggled with the "woe is me" of the rotator cuff surgery and my inability to get to the gym. Then I allowed myself the excuse of not being able to workout on a regular schedule to justify my "treats" during Christmas. Then I excused my lack of weight loss on the fact that I could not workout and/or that I was on my period. I didn't really discuss the ways in which I had fallen short of excellence in my eating plan. Frankly, it is only by the grace of God and some supreme Irish luck that I didn't gain more during that period.

So, when I answer "working out 6 days a week, hard and eating clean 24/7" what I am saying is ... the weight loss you see now is a result of the weeks in which I have done that. The potential for so much more would have been realized had I actually adhered to my plan 100% and never allowed any justification for lower standards.

Here's the thing ... we are all human. Getting healthy is about living a full life, a long and happy one, in the best health possible. For me, it is simply unthinkable that I will go the rest of my life without an occasional slice of cake, or a glass of wine ... or that there will not be times when I can not workout as often or as intensely as I should. Life happens. The trick is not to "excuse" it. (Definition 1: to regard or judge with forgiveness or indulgence; pardon or forgive; overlook (a fault, error, etc.): Excuse his bad manners.) Make it a choice, then you have ownership of it and it's not something that is out of your control.

That's one of the things I like about having a scheduled cheat meal. I know that it is coming ... I don't feel threatened by crazy cravings. MOST of the time, I can just tell myself ... "Hmmm ... that might be something to have on that cheat meal!" By the time the cheat meal arrives, I might decide upon something completely different ... but it was within my control. It was my choice.

Rounding on back to my original point, I am far from excuse-free. Every single day I have to talk myself down from some cliff, away from some candy bar, into some overwhelming feat of physical fitness. But what we all need to do is stop justifying the things that make us less than we can be ... in fitness, in health, at work, at home, in life.

Because, after all, we really do only have one life. Why the heck do we want to throw it away on lower standards?

No comments:

Post a Comment