Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Attitude Adjustment

Happiness comes from... some curious adjustment to life. ~Hugh Walpole~

What's your goal? What makes you get up each morning and forge a path through a brand new day? Where would you like to see your life a year from today? How about 10 years? Or more ... ?

I struggle with the answers to those questions. I loathe failure and the best way to avoid it is to also avoid setting goals. As for the forging that path ... I have often described myself as a marble in a pinball machine. I fly around reacting to all the situations happening in my life. I bounce off this obstacle, hurling to the next, then ricocheting in a brand new direction, over and over until eventually the ball just falls and its time to pull back the spring and take another go at the game.

I'm tired of being a pinball wizard. I am exhausted from reacting to my life, rather than owning it, controlling it. It is time for a "curious adjustment" to my life. I don't have the answers to those questions I asked above, but I intend to meditate on them and come up with some.

I love being a wife and mother. I live a wonderful and privileged life, and for that I am so very grateful. I am able to enjoy activities that fulfill me. Why then, do I so often struggle with happiness? Possibly the thing which lacking is my attitude. In order for me to find answers, in order to set goals and reach them successfully, I need to adjust my attitude.

April has brought so much good already in just 3 short days. The weather has warmed, the flowers are starting to bloom, the new competition kettlebell class has begun ... It's a great time to make the necessary adjustments.

I've even successfully begun a new challenge. The 10k Swings in 30 Days challenge has commenced winningly. I've managed 450 swings on each of the past 3 days. 1350 down ... 8650 to go. My hands are sore, my shoulders and back are tired ... but I feel strong and capable. I am excited to add new activity into my day and curious to see what changes it will bring to my training and physique.

Wouldn't it be nice if it made a (lowered) adjustment to the scale, as well?

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure." ~Norman Vincent Peale~

No comments:

Post a Comment