Goals

Goals
Don't Get Between Me & My Goals

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How's that "No Sugar" thing going for ya?

I am on Day 8 of the 21 Day Sugar Detox ( http://www.the21daysugardetox.com/ ) and I gotta tell you ... I am loving how I feel. 

I didn't think I would.  A year ago when Kaz first brought it up to me, my first response was "no oatmeal for the morning?  Nope that ain't workin' for me.  You have your healthy diet and I have mine."  The idea of adding more 4-legged animals into my daily menu didn't help his argument.  I just wasn't there yet.  I'm still not 100% THERE ... meaning ... I would still prefer to eat chicken over roast beast, but my body seems to be enjoying the change.

A typical day of meals for me looks like this:
  • 2 eggs, 3 slices uncured bacon, coffee
  • water, water, water ... oh, maybe a handful of almonds (raw, no salt)
  • Lettuce, onions, tomato, cucumber, avocado salad, with grilled chicken or steak and homemade (no sugar) olive oil vinaigrette
  • water, water, water ... maybe a handful of almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts (raw, no salt) if hungry or heading to another workout
  • Grilled, baked or broiled organic beef or chicken, roasted or steamed veggies
  • water, water, water, cup of hot tea, more water
Pretty basic, very clean ... the veggies are all organic if I can find them and the meat is always organic, grass-fed.  I am drinking a TON of water, because I crave it.  Not sure if that is just my body getting back to normal (I have always drank a lot of water) or if my body needs more water to process the food.  The scale is down, although I won't officially know how much until my TOPS weigh in tonight.  (I have a great, accurate scale at home that I check myself on, but use the TOPS scale as official ...)

I've not craved sugar, not really.  Which is HUGE because, let's face it folks, I ate a LOT of sugar cookies over the holidays.  My only real difficulty was watching my husband drink some wine Friday night.  I made him promise not to buy my favorite while I detox, which helped.  It's not that I crave wine, but more that I enjoy the relaxing glass we traditionally share on Friday nights.  Still, it's only 21 days, so I should be fine.  I haven't even indulged in the limited, but allowed green apple or not-quite-ripe banana!

Sugar is in everything ... have you ever noticed that?  I don't mean the naturally occurring, minimal sugars in meats and veggies, but the added sugar in every other (even minimally) processed food out there.  Needed some beef broth for a recipe, so I purchased a box in my favorite organic brand.  4th item on the ingredient list?  Organic Evaporated Cane Juice.  In the "sugar" world, this is one of the least offensive ... but still, there it is.  Sweetener added to a food that simply does not need it.  Needless to say, the box is still on the shelf in my pantry and I purchased some marrow bones and cooked up a batch of homemade broth for future recipes. 

Something else that I have noticed, although I am not 100% convinced it is related ... my attitude has improved. I still have almost daily crying sessions, but I don't feel the overwhelming "doom" that I did before.  I am still struggling with depression ... but I am not as crippled by it as I was before.  And as long as I can see improvement, I can avoid adding the anti-depressant I had begun to believe was inevitable.  I hate adding chemicals to my body, whether it needs them or not ... if I can avoid this final step, I will be quite content!

So, I guess you could say the "No Sugar Thing" is working out okay for me!


"In order to succeed you must fail, so that you know what not to do the next time."  ~Anthony J. D'Angelo~

1 comment:

  1. Just FYI ... down 3.75 lbs from last week. Although the sugar detox is not a "diet", weight loss is a happy side effect of getting all that sugar out of your system. I'm certainly happy with it!

    ReplyDelete